Section 0009

     Nature, with its tinkerish knack for economy, did not select independent mechanisms for expressing primary and secondary emotions. Yet a supreme change of outlook or viewpoint has been accomplished. In the sense of deferral and designation of place in a textual logic.

     I never knew before, what such a love as you have made me feel, was; I did not believe in it; my Fancy was afraid of it, lest it should burn me up.

     For a long time he stood on the gravel in the tavern garden, gazing down the empty street.
     This time, believe me, I cried more than all the children in the world.

     The bats have settled in the trees now, and quarrel over their fruit like fishwives, screaming and chattering. At this moment of reality, he thinks. Little by little my eyes got used to the light and I saw the clock…a great big one…really magnificent…the dial was all copper and a tiny little frigate was dancing out the seconds…tic…toc…tic…toc…
     This supreme substance of the philosophers is always referred to in a most paradoxical, enigmatic and riddling way. The least it is likely to do is spoil the work.

     If you’re wondering why it’s necessary to learn so much geography, it’s because location counts for a lot in Burgundy. When I told you that, your face darkened.

     There was something coming to her and she was waiting for it, fearfully. I know that we were conjugating the verb love like two maniacs trying to fuck through an iron grate.

     The operation, he said, was a sort of advance towards the unknown: “The whole problem for me is how to experience this feeling, and I am particularly aware of it at the moment.”
     I will protect this period, not from shame, not from fear, but from love and from a fierce sense of obligation.